homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised beds, was Chicken moat,

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised beds, was Chicken moat,
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:03:43 -0400

Yes. Maybe scrap was a poor choice of words, I did use hardware cloth
and what they call "baby saver" rabbit wire. That kind of wire is
smaller than regular rabbit wire, and while I doubt either would stop a
groundhog(we don't have gophers that I know of) it will stop moles and
voles, which we have plenty of....I had bought several rolls of baby
saver wire years ago to do my rabbit cages. It's only a foot wide, so
it's not really useful for other purposes. It had been sitting in a
store room for years, so I used it in the bottom of the raised beds. I
also had 3 partial rolls of hardware cloth, more like pieces than a
roll, so I guess that is why I call it 'scrap'. To me, 'scraps' are
leftovers from other projects.
Anyway, there be no moles here, Cap'n. :)

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:

Scrap wire? Perhaps I assumed incorrectly that the bottom wire was to
exclude gophers and moles. I used quarter-inch hardware cloth in my ferrocement bed. Those who find it difficult to recycle glass containers might smash the glass down there and then add a thick layer of stone and gravel.