homestead - Re: [Homestead] Harpie visit

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Harpie visit
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 19:10:32 -0500

Hello everyone of old, . . . I'm not sure how much of a homesteader I am anymore-but I still have chickens and rabbits, still garden, and still live in the same rickety old house.

For those who did not know Bev in her earlier homesteader incarnation, she is the original Homestead Wonder Woman, faster than a speeding pullet and able to leap small geldings in a single bound. Even with her currently broken arm she could likely take you, so behave.

In a private mail, she asked my thoughts on her new chicken moat. I told her I would reply on the list, in case the info is of use to others. She wrote:

"I am in the process of creating a chicken
moat around my garden for the 25 8 week pullets I got this Spring. I
just love your idea on this, so I am emulating. My exterior garden
fence is 8 feet tall, and the moat will be 3 feet wide with the interior
fence only 3 feet tall. I might need to clip wings to keep the birds in
the moat. What are your thoughts on this?"

For those unfamiliar with the chicken moat, you may read my original writing on same here:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Homesteading_and_Self_Reliance/1988_May_June/The_Chicken_Moat

Eight-foot fences are expensive and difficult to build. Just the sort of grandiose design we would expect from a Viking queen. Two six-foot fences are just right. Why have to clip wings? Use dog-pen wire. Three feet wide is too narrow for an effective moat. Grasshoppers can make the journey across so fast that fat hens won't get them before they are safely inside the garden munching on your goodies. In deer country, the moat at six feet wide is designed to intimidate a deer from making the leap. I suspect Wonder Woman wants the eight-foot fence to stop the deer. Two six-footers will do the deed if the width is six feet.

All that said, the square footage of a successful chicken moat depends on the size of the flock. If the poultry patrol is insufficient in number to keep the weeds gone, the moat becomes ineffective as a clean edge for the garden. It does keep the hens happy. And happy hens are half a homestead made. So if you, like most, would rather experiment with your own design, why just charge on! Don't say I didn't warn you.