homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic and us

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic and us
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:38:06 -0400

I shop at Walmart several times a year. I don't like their politics and the way they treat some of their employees, so I shop local whenever I can, but I do sometimes go in there either because of the convenience of making one stop instead of 4 or because they have what I can get elsewhere (like little duckie pools at the end of summer).

Gene GeRue wrote:

All that said IMO when WalMart and Monsanto decide what can have the
"organic" label it won't be organic anymore.

I think the term means something far differently today than it did 10 years ago. It's just like the term Free-Range....which used to mean "chickens running loose and not in laying batteries" but now seems to mean "chickens running loose inside a chicken house".

We need a people's revolution. Perhaps misusing the organic label will become the trigger.

Doubtful. The masses are poor. Poor people can't afford to buy organic food-they grow their own if they eat it or they don't eat 'organic'. Out west where organic foods are more trendy, maybe there will be a revolution, but I don't see that happening outside of the wealthier suburban areas in most parts of the country. On the other hand, money talks. Hopefully the boomers in their SUV's can yell and stomp really loud and be heard, if they can slow down long enough from bragging about their new house and how many activities they taxi their kids to and fro.

I am optimistic that truth will out. The Internet makes it easy for all of us to report what we learn. Big companies, including WalMart, are becoming ever more sensitive to public image. Do a search and you may be impressed with all that WalMart is doing to improve its image and, believe it or don't, improve the world.

I sure hope so. It's about time. In my little town, we are trying to get WM to change their lighting policy to thwart light pollution....unsuccessful to date.
Someone mentioned "made in the USA". I seem to recall that that's what made Sam Walton's stores the mega giants that they are. Somewhere along the line, they dropped that logo and started buying overseas, but originally, they did promote USA products.

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W