homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic and us

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic and us
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 18:53:15 -0700

At 6/5/2006 06:53 AM,Gene GeRue wrote:

>Expect to see a great deal of what WalMart sells for organic to be imported.
>"Is this really organic??" "Of course, amigo, trust me!"

All the developments have been predictable. A national standard was
inevitable and useful in spite of its weaknesses and unfairness to
some producers. Organic is a win-win deal for the people.

When organic is "owned" by corporate factory food do you really expect it to remain what it was? Already "changes" to the rules are making it thru congress.

Real organic would be good but I suspect we will find that "real" organic and organic controlled by a Congress that regularly goes to the highest bidder are not the same things.

As to the "would you shop at Walmart"? question. Yep, do it all the time.
There are only so many dollars in this household and making them go as far as they can is important. I do shop other places too, I like to spread around what little of what I have ($) when I can.
Plus several members of my family and extended family actually do work there. A Walmart job IS better than no job.

All that said IMO when WalMart and Monsanto decide what can have the "organic" label it won't be organic anymore.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net
Now in western Washington, USA

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan
belt and a leaky tire.