homestead - Re: [Homestead] Nuclear energy in an oil-poor world

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Nuclear energy in an oil-poor world
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 21:21:18 -0400

I visualize a Heartwood system hooked to the grid. When the sun shines, the meter turns backwards after the batteries are full. When the sun does not shine, first the juice in the batteries power essentials, then we go back to the grid.

Does your electric co. allow "net-metering"? (Net-metering is when you are charged the "net" total of power-used minus power-sent to the grid.) Many power companies do not. Some will allow your excess power to flow into the grid through a seperate meter, then they "buy" it from you at the current rate they purchase power from other power companies, which isn't much. Then they sell you power at standard retail prices. The home power plant rarely makes enough to cover the cost of the extra meter and power relay usually required for grid interconnected systems. (This relay automatically disconnects your power system from the grid in the event the grid is down. This prevents power company technicians from getting fried off your system when they are working on the power lines and have disconnected the mains from the lines and thus think the lines are dead.) This is why most home RE people opt to store and use their own power, and switch their house to the grid only during long periods of decreased power generation.

I cannot see using solar as a stand-alone system. My planer has a five horsepower motor. Batteries would never handle the starting load.

Do batteries start your car?

All that said, small urban or rural homes carefully designed for energy efficiency and including very energy-efficient appliances can exist solely on solar. Yes, it require lifestyle change.

For your heat you still need to rely on wood or fossil fuels. If you have animals, (poultry manure works great) have you thought of a methane generating digester? Many homes in Asian countries rely on methane from a digester to provide cooking and heating fuel.

Wendy