homestead - Re: [Homestead] Nuclear energy in an oil-poor world

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Nuclear energy in an oil-poor world
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:06:30 -0400

It would take a major change in our lifestyle to go solar. One big problem with solar (and most other forms of RE) is that it is an intermittant form of energy; it is only available part of the day. To run a house on an intermittant power source, one must overproduce when one can, then store the power for when the source is not providing. In the case of solar, not only is there no production at night, but a storm system can obscure the sun for days at a time. The week link in this system is still the batteries. They are bulky, expensive and require a reasonable amount of technical skill to maintain. So, when using RE, one must keep their power requirements at a minimum. i.e. no air conditioning, electric heat, or electric dryers etc. While solar power generation is pollution and disposal free, the storage medium is not. Battery production is a nasty industry. Heavy metals and toxic and carcinogenic electrolytes which are both polluting when manufactured and polluting to recycle or dispose. Untill the power storage problems are solved, solar will be just a novelty.

There are other options -- all which have their drawbacks with the current state of technology. One is using hydrogen as the storage medium. I actually think this is probally our best option. Use RE (wind, solar, tidal, etc) to power electrolysis plants, then collect the hydrogen as the power storage medium. One big drawback is the possibility of a devistating accident, but I think it is safer than nuclear. When the boom is over, we can at least go gather up the pieces.

Wendy

I do agree. Nuclear is not a real option.

It is our only dependable option. Thank goodness the reactor is a gazillion miles away. Burns its own waste. No disposal problem. What a design. As long as we use increasingly more sunscreen, we'll be safe.

Seriously, the sun is the answer. Roofs are currently available with built-in solar collectors. Energy-efficient appliances are for sale. The technology is here. What is not yet here is sufficient profit nor government resolve. Pain and attendant profit need to be higher.