homestead - Re: [Homestead] Nuclear energy in an oil-poor world

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Nuclear energy in an oil-poor world
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:15:53 -0700

I cannot see using solar as a stand-alone system. My planer has a five horsepower motor. Batteries would never handle the starting load.

One of my wildest criteria is to find a place with water power. It is easy to generate huge amounts of power with water. If not that then a surplus 8-10 kW generator would do for large loads.

5 HP is what, 4kW? With surge that could easily reach 8 kW. My table saw has a 3 hp motor and takes a big surge. hen I set up shop again I want to get a decent 6 or 8 in. planer.

All that said, small urban or rural homes carefully designed for energy efficiency and including very energy-efficient appliances can exist solely on solar. Yes, it require lifestyle change.

You still need some sort of storage. The grid is by far the cheapest storage option. Solar needs storage for overcast and short winter days and for nights. Wind does not always blow and some streams are sometimes seasonal.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up

My travel journal

My present location is the star on the map in the link below
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=33.506083&longitude=-117.099019