homestead - Re: [Homestead] Nuclear energy in an oil-poor world

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Nuclear energy in an oil-poor world
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:04:48 -0700

One big problem with solar (and most other forms of RE) is that it is an intermittant form of energy; it is only available part of the day. To run a house on an intermittant power source, one must overproduce when one can, then store the power for when the source is not providing. In the case of solar, not only is there no production at night, but a storm system can obscure the sun for days at a time. The week link in this system is still the batteries. They are bulky, expensive and require a reasonable amount of technical skill to maintain.

I visualize a Heartwood system hooked to the grid. When the sun shines, the meter turns backwards after the batteries are full. When the sun does not shine, first the juice in the batteries power essentials, then we go back to the grid.

I cannot see using solar as a stand-alone system. My planer has a five horsepower motor. Batteries would never handle the starting load.

All that said, small urban or rural homes carefully designed for energy efficiency and including very energy-efficient appliances can exist solely on solar. Yes, it require lifestyle change.