homestead - [Homestead] water power was: oil-poor world

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] water power was: oil-poor world
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 09:02:27 -0700

At 6/2/2005, you wrote:
I have a similar fantasy. Once the ram pump is putting water in a high tank 24/7 there will be surplus water up there. I know there are generators that operate with low flow if the head is high. So I could generate chunks of juice when needed.

I don't know if the stream could do the job.

You are introducing several looses into the system. The ram pump wastes water to pump a little. How little depends on how high it is raised. There are pipe losses in the pipe from the pump to the storage. Then you have line losses in the head pipe to the turbine. So for power generation stay at the stream.

The ram pump requires a certain head to make it work. The more head the more water it can move higher. How much head do you have for the ram pump? How much flow does the stream have on average?

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up

My travel journal

My present location is the star on the map in the link below
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=33.506083&longitude=-117.099019