homestead - RE: [Homestead] Perfect Storm

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Perfect Storm
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 23:01:38 -0500

At 5/10/2005 02:29 PM, Gene wrote:
> Until someone shows me how sinking the USA into bankruptcy would benefit
> the increasingly large class of the rich and powerful, I will continue to
> believe that the DC Whorehouse and customers will protect business.

And Rob responded:

<<As I read the above paragraph I had a thought about what is going on.
What if the goal of "business" (as you used it) is a sort of return to the
Lords and serfs world?>>

Gene assumes that the rich and powerful have a clue about how ugly their
world will be when we no longer have a middle class. Bush's Social Security,
er, changes seem focused on shifting wealth from the middle class (starting
at those making $26 000) to the middle class (ending with those making $90
000). I'm bound to believe that this view of the world also assumes that the
so-called middle class (who will soon be the lower, lower middle class) will
accept their fate willingly.

This class is where our enlistees are coming from. The situation may take
25, or 50 years, to develop (I'd bet on 25, or less, since things move so
much more quickly now than they used to), but I don't see battled-hardened
troops quietly accepting, along with their families, being shafted by a
government that accepted their sacrifice and will give nothing -- or damn
little -- back. And they all know how to use automatic weapons.

Marie