homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:44:26 -0500

***Ah, but James, you DO trot out the fat rant about absolutely everything
that has anything however slight to do with health.

That's right, I do. Because fat has something to do with just about every health problem there is .....even in the cases that it is not a direct factor, it is none the less an indicator of bad diet, lack of exercise, and the overuse of prescription drugs which weaken and exascerbate even the maladies that the person had no hand in bringing about.

***And that has what to do with INFANT mortality?

That you even have to ask the question points to the nature and severity of the problem. The poorer the overall health and strength of the woman, the more dangerous the birth for both mother and child. Just as an observation here, I've attended the births of a good number of children and never in even one case was there a strong woman of healthy weight who had the least problem in birth and the resulting children with top APGAR scores. ALL the women I have known, ALL, who had a child die or died themselves in childbirth were grossly overweight with the accompanying bad nutrition and weakness one would expect to find.

Although no demographic of which I am aware is venturing a causal relationship, many have none the less observed that the rise in obesity parallels the rise in infant mortality both in time and location.

Obesity is well recognized as a significant contributor to deaths from cancer, cardio-vascular disease, and accident. Why would we expect neonatal deaths to be any different? Children born to healthy women are healthier than children born to obese women.

But once again see how quickly you are ready to dismiss obesity as a contributing factor to a rising health problem. That's why it needs to be brought up.

***ON ONE RANKING. Let's see, the Princeton Review isn't done on spending
http://www.princetonreview.com/footer/testingTesters.asp Morgan Quintno's
uses 21 factors including, what, can't be, test scores

I've read the construct of several of these comparisons. When any of them use test scores that were normed on different populations (which is what they all must do, since there is no commonly normed test used by the states), they are just guessing and speculating. The 21 factors are so subject to interpretation you can come to any conclusion you like and it would be just as valid.

James

http://www.morganquitno.com/edfact04.htm and, of course, there is the biggie
which is all about reading, math, science, etc. the DOE's NAEP from the NCES
or as it is otherwise known, The Nation's Report Card
http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/reading/

And, actually, the numbers you refer to are usually NEA numbers and they are
all about $$. However, per capita is only part of their formula.