homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:51:39 -0700

At 08:44 PM 1/13/05 -0500, you wrote:

>> ***And that has what to do with INFANT mortality?
>
><snip>Just as an observation
>here, I've attended the births of a good number of children and never in
>even one case was there a strong woman of healthy weight who had the least
>problem in birth and the resulting children with top APGAR scores. ALL the
>women I have known, ALL, who had a child die or died themselves in
>childbirth were grossly overweight with the accompanying bad nutrition and
>weakness one would expect to find.

James, I agree that obesity does create many, many health problems.
However, though I am not as thin as I used to be, I am not "grossly
overweight" either. In fact, I was in really good health/shape during the
pregnancy of my baby that was born 15 weeks early due to placental
abruption; he lived for 3 days and died. In fact, I am about 10-15 lbs.
heavier now than I was before I conceived him, and I do not gain a lot of
weight with my babies-averaging 26 lb weight gain at full-term, with him
probably only about 10-15 lbs since I gain most of my weight at the end of
the pregnancy; though not a very good picture, you can see a picture of me
from a year ago at http://steve.oliphant.org/Christmas04/.

Doctors still don't understand what caused the abruption; I don't smoke or
drink, I was pretty active when I was pregnant with him, I was eating
healthily, and had regular check-ups. So while obesity may play a part, it
is not the only cause. In all probability my guess would be that it had
something to do with already having 2 c-section, but we will never know.

Best wishes,
Melody

Best wishes,
Melody