homestead - Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Asses

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Asses
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 10:03:44 -0500

As I understand it, it is a good thing to have money pass through many local hands. Somehow this magically improves the local economy. Money is surreal, of course, but it represents energy expended and potential purchasing power. If the money leaves, so does the energy and the purchasing power.

I see. That would be a valid point (on the part of the nay sayers, not you personally, Gene) IF the money was going to be earned there by someone who was going to spend it locally. I'm in a place that never saw a Mexican 20 years ago and has a very large population of them now. And yet I have yet to meet the first good ol' boy who says he can't get a job because of a Mexican. The most bigoted racist SOB around freely admits that they are taking no one's job. As to the idea that they drive down wages, they're not stupid, they demand a pretty good wage and they get it ... and by all accounts they earn it. The logging and sawyer businesses around here were disappearing fast. Cows and sheep and pigs were disappearing. Once cultivated fields were being overgrown. Now the sawmills are booming, every hollow and hillside is full of cows and goats. Vegetable fields are springing up everywhere. The reason is the Mexicans. It isn't that they work cheap according to my neighbors. A logger has had to raise wages, find housing, arrange for medical and dental treatment, and provide transportation - none of which he had to do before. He's willing, eager, to do it he says because Fernando and Victorio actually show up for work every day, would be ashamed to admit that they were not strong enough or knowledgeable enough for any task, and don't mind long hours so long as they are being compensated for them. Hershel and Harley showed up when they felt like it, had 100 imaginary illnesses, and were always saying why they couldn't do something (bad back).

That is, these people are creating wealth, prosperity (how ever you want to view it) where none was being created before and where none was likely to be created ever. I don't know how much cash is leaving this area and going to Mexico, but more power to them. Lot's more is staying here than before and no mistake.

And more than that, they crowd out the cursed Yankees.

James