homestead - RE: [Homestead] Homestead My Ass

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Homestead My Ass
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 10:32:26 -0500

The local option sales tax was enacted in our county several years ago. The
same thing occurred as Warren cited: the property tax notices were mailed
out a few days before the vote took place.

However, because there is a large portion of the 25,000 residents in the
county who are not property owners, the money to run the schools and county
hospital and other services are unduly extracted from property owners, so
this sales tax increase was touted as a way to improve the schools and even
up the balance at the same time.

Well, the large shopping centers for those who can afford to drive 25 miles
are in other counties. The question becomes if the county needs to
institute checkpoints at the entries to the county and extract tax on the
shopping bags ...or will residents honestly pay this tax when they send in
their state income tax forms...

It's the same trouble with taxing purchases made on the Internet or by mail
order. And it just doesn't work.

The county has absorbed the tax revenues and there's probably no chance the
rate will ever be lowered.