homestead - Re: [Homestead] Recieved this, thought to pass it along

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Recieved this, thought to pass it along
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:15:06 -0500

Hee hee.... obviously, I'm speaking of ancestors.
It takes 4 generations back in my family to find the Choctaws....
So that makes me a 32nd?
The county in Oklahoma where is situated current seat of the Choctaw Nation
is named after one of my relatives.
We have some articles about a home they built...
As well as the names of some...

For purposes of Toni's discussion... are they also counted as immigrants
because of the Bering Strait theory?

My British/Scotch-Irish ancestry pre-dates the American Revolution.
Are they immigrants?

My husband's family only goes to his grandparents to strike immigrants from
Germany and Chechkoslovakia and the languages of both were spoken in his
parents' home. His dad has a Brooklyn accent. My husband, is an immigrant
to the South from the Southern tip of New York...

Where do you start or stop saying, "If you don't like it, go home?"
I've helped over 250 people come to the USA as refugees. Many of them are
making real contributions to our country by working hard; buying houses and
cars; raising their children in bi-lingual homes with excellent school
grades. One Khmer girl is in nursing school; will have her RN in another
year. One Khmer boy is a lawyer's assistant. One woman from
Kabardinskaya-Bulgaria is the accountant for a County in Washington State.
Her son entered college this year, seeking an engineering degree. Her son
who was born here is a honor student in high school.

These people came here legally. They are proud to get their green cards and
citizenship, most of them. A few have elected to go back "home". But home
isn't what it was in their memory. The last woman mentioned, after getting
her citizenship, took her son who was born here to meet family in the
former CCCP and came back very thankful she now lives here. She had not
wanted to go back to live, just to visit. Her husband is not making the
adjustments as well as she has. He wants to go back.

One Khmer family, the parents of the RN student, plan to move back after
their daughter graduates from college. They have worked factory jobs here,
sending money for her sister to build a real house instead of the pallets
and bamboo shack they had (I've seen pictures). They plan to build a
transportation business and will be wealthy. In the meanwhile, they've paid
taxes and mostly have been law-observant.

After 20 years of working with refugees, I could tell a lot of stories of
both success and failure.... The first 3 years are the hardest for anyone
moving, even from one part of the USA to another.