homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 10:16:18 -0700

At 10/3/2004, you wrote:
One can live well, if bored, on beans, rice, corn, nuts and apples, the latter of which will keep if merely cool, which season you are entering. If you will add basic bakery to your skills arsenal, then include various flours which convert easily to rolls, bisquits, breads. Dry yeast plus honey and water do the conversion. For diet variety, take canned soups.

I do not have an oven so I am looking for alternatives. I do have a small Dutch Oven and want to experiment with that.

Btw, when I converted a Sunbeam bread truck into a camper, I installed one of those small three-way refrigerators. I also installed a deep-cycle battery, like from golf carts. You have the knowledge to hook it up so it charges when you are driving. A small fridge makes life on the road far more pleasant.

I have about 160 Amp Hours in two marine group 24 batteries. When they die in a few years I will be able to use T-105 batteries in the same spot for 220 AH storage. The frig runs off propane or electricity but it is not legal in many states to run down the road with the propane on. I have a powered cooler that will be used for road days and I have been told that the refrigerator will keep things cool for most of a day.

The end of a good day is greatly enhanced with a cool beer.

Yea but it will be hard to get Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale outside Southern Ca.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com