homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:44:16 -0700

From: Lynda<mailto:lurine AT softcom.net>

> When we hauled horses to horse shows we lived out of a cabover camper. I
> stocked canned beans, tomato sauce/paste/stewed, rice, pasta, packaged
> sauces, dehydrated fruits and veggies. Garlic, onion and celery powder,

I don't know if you have Fred Meyer where you
are, but dehydrated *granulated* garlic tastes
better to me than the 'powder'. I buy it from FM
in their largest size - which is 25 oz - and transfer
it into a table-shaker size (from Crescent spices).
I disturb the large container's seal as little as
possible after unscrewing the lid (don't open the
pour spout) and then tighten the seal again and
store it upside down. I've used it on/in everything
including eggs (as in fried for breakfast) and on
various roasted/broiled/fried cuts of meat.

It also makes the *best* garlic vinegar - I put
about a tablespoon (not teaspoon) into a Yamasa
(brand name) soya sauce container (about 4 oz)
and add apple cider vinegar to it. Great on your own
battered or fast food fish *and* fries. The
container *must* remain open to the air and the
soya sauce bottle top has two spout-type
openings, one on each side of the cap that leave
the contents "open" without spilling. (I recycle
several types of containers for specific purposes).

Big plastic bottles are a little harder to store
than plastic bags of noodles/rice, etc., but they
are an improvement once the bag has been
opened and you still have several servings of
whatever left ....

> salt, pepper, chili powder, cinnamon, sugar,

Plastic container for 5 lbs of sugar - less spills,
no ants.

> oats. Instant bouillion packets (better than cubes).

I have not found any bouillion packets or cubes
that do *not* contain MSG (monosodium
glutamate) which gives me a pounding headache
after setting my teeth on edge - when I have
"Chinese" food, I make a point of telling the order
taker *not* to put any in my order. As for
the increasingly appearing radioactive - excuse
me - "no need for refrigeration" - containers of
whatever, well, that's a personal idiot-syncrasy,
I guess, but I don't microwave any more, either.

http://healthyherbs.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=healthyherbs&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.health-science.com%2Fmicrowave_hazards.html<http://healthyherbs.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=healthyherbs&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.health-science.com%2Fmicrowave_hazards.html>

There are 12 pages there that still don't mention that

If you ever make an error - minutes instead of seconds

for a liquid in the microwave - expect an explosion of

steam when you open the door and the outside air meets

that inside the oven .... and if the oven is at eye-level ....

> With a stop at a market on the way you can toss together lots of meals with
> little or no trouble. With the above you can make up a quick soup, a
> spaghetti dinner, chili, etc. Lynda

Thanks for this post's "base", Lynda,
I can see you've 'been there, done that'.