homestead - [Homestead] Stocking up on food

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Stocking up on food
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:16:08 -0700

Here is a non political question for you. ( having said that, watch this spin off in some vegetarian vs meat eater flame war)

I am about to start stocking my travel trailer. Now keep in mind I am not a cook. Opening cans, slapping something between two slices of bread, and dumping some cheese on left overs is about the limit of my cooking abilities. My typical breakfast is a bagel or some other toast and fruit, usually cantaloupe in season, whatever if not.

The trailer has a small freezer and refrigerator. There is plenty of dry storage in various cabinets and under a seat. The trailer has a propane stove and a microwave. I plan to do as much boondocking as I can so the microwave will not usually be powered unless I can spring for a generator. I am planning on a 120+ Watt solar system before a generator.

So what should I buy for stocking up? I am looking for the canned goods, spices, etc that will not need refrigeration as it is currently not plugged in. As for the refrigerated and frozen items, I just looked in the refrigerator and freezer to see what we have on hand now and built a list from that. So any ideas?

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com