homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 09:00:08 -0700

So what should I buy for stocking up? I am looking for the canned goods, spices, etc that will not need refrigeration as it is currently not plugged in.

One can live well, if bored, on beans, rice, corn, nuts and apples, the latter of which will keep if merely cool, which season you are entering. If you will add basic bakery to your skills arsenal, then include various flours which convert easily to rolls, bisquits, breads. Dry yeast plus honey and water do the conversion. For diet variety, take canned soups.

Take dried fruit and any dried veggies with reasonable cost. Visit one of the big camping stores for ideas. Dried eggs. Canned tuna and sardines. Crackers. Mustard. Peanut butter.

Btw, when I converted a Sunbeam bread truck into a camper, I installed one of those small three-way refrigerators. I also installed a deep-cycle battery, like from golf carts. You have the knowledge to hook it up so it charges when you are driving. A small fridge makes life on the road far more pleasant. The end of a good day is greatly enhanced with a cool beer.