freetds - Re: Shared libs on Mac OS X Server 10.2

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Shared libs on Mac OS X Server 10.2
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:15:47 -0500

James,

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:30:54PM -0400, Lowden, James K wrote:
> [...]

Have I mentioned this week how much I *love* libtool? :)

Whereas most pieces of the autotools toolchain follow the principle of
"test for features, not platforms", libtool is a kludgy piece of script
that embeds *extensive* information about individual platforms, and uses
this information to decide how to "properly" build libraries (shared or
static). This means that, while you can get autoconf itself to do the
right thing on many platforms with a little nudge, libtool will not work
correctly on any platform whose feature set hasn't been programmed into
it.

The version of libtool you had on your computer when rolling the last
official release is a bit old; old enough that it doesn't know how to
automatically build shared libs on OS X. This is why rerunning
libtoolize --force --copy && aclocal && automake && autoconf on an OS X
machine fixes the build scripts so that they work correctly for shared
libs. This version difference also accounts for minor weirdness with the
last FreeTDS (two zeroes instead of three after the '.so').

Since we do have users on platforms not covered by libtool 1.4a, I would
recommend installing a newer libtool (I use 1.4.2a) on whatever machines
will be used for rolling official tarballs.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer