freetds - Re: Changes required to compile with libtool 1.2

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Mike Jennings <mjenning AT islandnet.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Changes required to compile with libtool 1.2
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 07:32:25 -0700

Hello Andreas,

You said that you are a member of the development team for
Debian GNU/Linux. What java runtime comes with that distribution (if any)?
And, do you know why the Blackdown JDK does not seem to
be a part of any Linux distribution?

This is only tangentially related to free-tds as it applies
to free-tds JDBC.

Regards,
Mike Jennings

At 10:23 AM 8/19/99 +0200, you wrote:

> [...]
>access will be done with Java servlets. So I was searching
>a JDBC driver for the MS SQL server which is quite hard to
>find and I'm really happy to find FreeTDS which is hopefully
>the solution for my problem.
>
>I have to say that I'm really new to Java and SQL.
>
>Now the problem:
>I tried to compile freetds-0.45. I'm using Debian/GNU Linux
>potato which comes with libtool 1.2. This results in problems
>with the configure file shipped with the freetds tar archiv:
>

>aclocal: configure.in: 14: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
>aclocal.m4: 23: `AM_PROG_INSTALL' is obsolete; use `AC_PROG_INSTALL'
>
>I solved the problem by simply calling the appended autogen.sh
>file. This enabled me to compile the package (thought I havn't
>tested it yet).
>Please note that it was just a trial-and-error method of an
>autogen.sh script I used for my personal Debian packages. I'm
>not an experienced autoconf/automake user.
>
>The next question is, how I could perform a basic test. The
>samples directory was not mentioned in Makefile.am so that
>no tests will be compiled by default.
>
>Furthermore, do I really need the freetds package if I only
>want to use the freetds_jdbc which seems to be pure Java?
>(There are further problems in installing the freetds_jdbc package
>which I will describe in a separate E-Mail.)
>If yes, I plan to package the freetds package for Debian GNU/Linux
>because I'm a member of the development team. Are there any
>objections? (If it is not necessary for the freetds_jdbc, I
>could package it as well, but I don't like to package something
>which I didn't use because I can't detect possible problems.
>Furthermore it's a matter of time.)
>
>Kind regards
>
> Andreas.
>
>#!/bin/sh
> # Run this to generate all the initial makefiles, etc.
>
> DIE=0
>
> PROG=freetds
>
> (autoconf --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 || {
> echo
> echo "You must have autoconf installed to compile $PROG."
> echo "Download the appropriate package for your distribution,"
> echo "or get the source tarball at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/";
> DIE=1
> }
>
> (automake --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 || {
> echo
> echo "You must have automake installed to compile $PROG."
> echo "Get ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/automake-1.3.tar.gz";
> echo "(or a newer version if it is available)"
> DIE=1
> }
>
> if test "$DIE" -eq 1; then
> exit 1
> fi
>
> if test -z "$*"; then
> echo "I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if
you wish "
> echo "to pass any to it, please specify them on the $0
command line."