freetds - Changes required to compile with libtool 1.2

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andreas Tille <tillea AT rki.de>
  • To: FreeTDS mailing liste <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Changes required to compile with libtool 1.2
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:23:03 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I'm really new to this list and all the TDS stuff and hopefully
could solve all my problems in the future.

First of all thanks for the work of all who are involved.

My final aim is a web based interface to a MS SQL server.
I use a Debian GNU/Linux box with Apache server. The database
access will be done with Java servlets. So I was searching
a JDBC driver for the MS SQL server which is quite hard to
find and I'm really happy to find FreeTDS which is hopefully
the solution for my problem.

I have to say that I'm really new to Java and SQL.

Now the problem:
I tried to compile freetds-0.45. I'm using Debian/GNU Linux
potato which comes with libtool 1.2. This results in problems
with the configure file shipped with the freetds tar archiv:

aclocal: configure.in: 14: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
aclocal.m4: 23: `AM_PROG_INSTALL' is obsolete; use `AC_PROG_INSTALL'

I solved the problem by simply calling the appended autogen.sh
file. This enabled me to compile the package (thought I havn't
tested it yet).
Please note that it was just a trial-and-error method of an
autogen.sh script I used for my personal Debian packages. I'm
not an experienced autoconf/automake user.

The next question is, how I could perform a basic test. The
samples directory was not mentioned in Makefile.am so that
no tests will be compiled by default.

Furthermore, do I really need the freetds package if I only
want to use the freetds_jdbc which seems to be pure Java?
(There are further problems in installing the freetds_jdbc package
which I will describe in a separate E-Mail.)
If yes, I plan to package the freetds package for Debian GNU/Linux
because I'm a member of the development team. Are there any
objections? (If it is not necessary for the freetds_jdbc, I
could package it as well, but I don't like to package something
which I didn't use because I can't detect possible problems.
Furthermore it's a matter of time.)

Kind regards

Andreas.

#!/bin/sh
     # Run this to generate all the initial makefiles, etc.

     DIE=0

     PROG=freetds

     (autoconf --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 || {
             echo
             echo "You must have autoconf installed to compile $PROG."
             echo "Download the appropriate package for your distribution,"
             echo "or get the source tarball at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/";
             DIE=1
     }

     (automake --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 || {
             echo
             echo "You must have automake installed to compile $PROG."
             echo "Get ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/automake-1.3.tar.gz";
             echo "(or a newer version if it is available)"
             DIE=1
     }

     if test "$DIE" -eq 1; then
             exit 1
     fi

     if test -z "$*"; then
             echo "I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish "
             echo "to pass any to it, please specify them on the $0 command line."
     fi

     for dir in .
     do
       echo processing $dir
       (cd $dir; \
       aclocalinclude="$ACLOCAL_FLAGS"; \
       aclocal $aclocalinclude; \
       autoheader; automake --add-missing; autoconf)
     done
     ./configure "$@"

     echo
     echo "Now type 'make' to compile $PROG."