corpus-paul - RE: Galatian situation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Dieter Mitternacht" <dieter.mitternacht AT teol.lu.se>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Galatian situation
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:39:19 +0200

High Jerry.
Thanks for your reply. Herre are my comments.

> Jerry replies:
> I wonder if you might agree to ... Everybody in
> Galatia agreed on the insignificance of circumcision. ?? I think Paul is
> the one who makes this a theological issue and that neither the other
> teachers nor the broader community thought of it as one. But Paul sees
> great theological issues at stake.

Yes! if you include the addition 'for salvation'. Obviously, from what I have
been arguing, I must mean, that circumcision is important in Galatia in terms
of identity marker. I do absolutely agree with you regarding who makes what
an issue in Galatia. And I would like to add: Paul does not make circumcision
an issue in Galatia because of his nomology. The primary issue is, as I have
argued in my replies to Mark, the imitatio Christi crucifixi. Nomology is
superimposed onto the primary concern, in order to maximise persuasion. I am
not sure Paul would want to be challenged on everything he asserted with
regard to Thorah in Galatians later on. I am quite sure, however, that his
primary concern, i.e. the adamant (some may think inflexible) comittment to
the imitatio Christi crucifixi, can be identified throughout his letters
without the kind of contradictory assertions, that can be found with his
nomology.

Dieter