corpus-paul - RE: Galatian situation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Dieter Mitternacht" <dieter.mitternacht AT teol.lu.se>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Galatian situation
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:08:15 +0200

Loren wrote
> The apostles'
> decision was made on behalf of Gentile converts, not
> missionary preachers. So we're probably back at
> square 1, since the issue depends on a sort of
> "coercion" after all.

I am sorry, but I do not seem to be able to get my point across. I make one
more effort.
It is the 'do not have to' which is what I am trying to focus upon. If you
give somebody a choice to abstain from something which you require of (or
which is natural to) others, than I wonder where the coercion is, and why we
would be back to square one. However if you turn the 'not have to' into a
'must not' and underscore your demand with threats, as Paul is doing, then
you coerce.
But it may be that you do not want to consider the possibility of Paul being
the troublemaker.

Regards
Dieter

*****************************
Dieter Mitternacht, Dr. Theol.
Lund University
Dept of Theology
Allhelgona kyrkogata 8
S-223 62 Lund
SWEDEN

phone +46 46 - 222 97 54
fax +46 46 - 222 44 26
E-mail: Dieter.Mitternacht AT teol.lu.se