corpus-paul - RE: Galatian situation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sakari H�kkinen" <sakari.hakkinen AT sci.fi>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Galatian situation
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:15:14 +0300

Dear Mark et alii

Mark Nanos wrote:
> 1. Paul arguable did [acknowledge the
>authority of the Jerusalem apostles], see 2:1-3, 9-10! His
trip to subordinate his
> gospel is an acknowledgement of their authority, whatever
else it
> might also be.

I would question the idea that Paul wanted to _subordinate
his gospel_. In fact, whose gospel it was that was discussed
in Jerusalem? I would tend to see Paul here representing his
own community in Antiochia, as he was an Antiochian attaché,
together with Barnabas. My question is thus: What kind of
meeting was that in Jerusalem - a negotiation between two
equal communities that had different views on Gentile
converts and perhaps on the validity of the Law, or a trial
of Paul which aimed from his side that his work among
Gentiles would be accepted by the highest possible authority
of Jesus-believers? Or had it some other meaning? Was Paul
only a private person with two companions (Barnabas and
Titus) or was he sent to Jerusalem by the believers in
Antiochia? One should
also take into account that when writing Galatians, Paul was
more independent than at the time when he had visited
Jerusalem with Barnabas from Antiochia. Obviously he had a
need to highlight his independency from any community (see
Gal. 2,2).

Regards,

Sakari

Sakari Hakkinen, PhD