corpus-paul - RE: Galatian situation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Galatian situation
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:16:00 -0400

from Mark on the Galatian opponents:

No one thinks it is insignificant,
including Paul, for it represents an identity transformation of
significant consequence, however different each of the parties may
have defined or valued that act or significance. The issue for them
is however more social in nature than later interpreters interest in
it solely in theological terms; is that what you are getting at in
this contrast?

Jerry:

I think we are on something of the same page here Mark. I think the other
teachers think there is something to be gained by the Galatian Gentiles
being circumcised, but whatever that is, it is not the huge soteriological
and theological issues Paul attaches to it. I do think it may have been
easier association between Jewish and Gentile Christians or even an easier
life for Jewish Christians who were not completely separated from the rest
of the Jewish community. These are important issues in terms of how one's
life goes, but are not matters that carry theological freight, unless they
are being told it would be unloving to put their Jewish fellow-Christians
through this constant grief and harrassment.
I also agree that these teachers do not see themselves as Paul's
opponents. They do after it arrives though, perhaps even becoming some of
those Paul must reject when he writes Philippians (i.e. the "dogs").

Jerry

Jerry L. Sumney
Lexington Theological Seminary
631 S. Limestone