corpus-paul - Re: Opponents as strawmen

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT gvi.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Opponents as strawmen
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:01:43 -0500

Dear Anders,
Thanks for the example from Aphthonius, and the information about Thuren's new book, which I have seen listed in Mohr's catalog but not yet gotten my hands upon. May I point out that it is my view that even putting the matter for discussion as you have:

I have read your interactions concerning the "opponents" in the Galatian
situation with interest

already prejudices the investigation by referring to "opponents." From this I suggest we refrain, unless someone has demonstrated this to be their identity by the conclusion. No doubt Paul in this letter opposes them, but whether they oppose Paul before the letter's arrival is anything but certain. I have concluded thus far that they have not opposed Paul, although he anticipates that the message of his letter will bring opposition (a genius he need not be to imagine that result!).

How much more evidence do we have in the Galatian situation that Paul is
"not just" creating strawmen?

Do you mean to say "strawmen," as though no people in Galatia are persuading the addressees to another message, whatever that may be, and however they may be doing so? That Paul is making up their existence and promotion of another message of good for them?

If so, then I suggest that the issue of the format for this rhetoric is sufficient evidence that this is not the case. This is not a novel, but a letter, and one in which the difference between constructing a narrative and speaking directly to the situation at hand as it is perceived by the author, is well understood by the writer.

Now whether what the author perceives is an accurate portrayal according to the perceptions of others, such as the addressees or those whom he accuses for their motivations and methods as well as message, that is up for interpretation.

It is highly unlikely that anyone in Galatia sees the exigence in the same way as does Paul, or we would likely not have this letter addressing his highly concerned approach to his perception of that exigence to interpret. But I find no grounds for suggesting that no one else would agree that there is an issue in the air in Galatia, and that it involves interaction with people and ideas which Paul has taught differently from in the past, to some degree against (cf. 1:9), and that he now seeks to confront in a rhetorical vehicle suited to communicating his message in the event that he is not able to do so in person, an understanding of the purpose of letters attested in handbooks and the comments of rhetoriticians of his era.

Regards,
Mark Nanos