corpus-paul - RE: Galatian situation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Kathryn J. S. Smith" <kathrynsmith AT apu.edu>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Galatian situation
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:23:15 -0700

If I may suggest a possibility:
Paul shows little regard for the Jerusalem leadership when it comes to his
own domain -- that of working among Gentiles. Note Gal 2:6 when Paul,
referring to the acknowledged leaders states, "it makes no difference what
kind of people they were." Paul takes great pains to establish his own
authority, and his strident rhetoric indicates that he senses his authority
to be threatened. In light of this, why appeal to the authority of others?
It would only undermine his own.

Kathryn J. S. Smith
Azusa Pacific University
901 East Alosta Avenue