corpus-paul - RE: Galatian situation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Dieter Mitternacht" <dieter.mitternacht AT teol.lu.se>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Galatian situation
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:59:01 +0200

Mark.
I will not once again respond to your comments, since I think it has become
quite clear where we agree and disagree with regard to the influencers of the
addressees. Thank you for a good and friendly interation.

In order to advance the discussion it seems to me we would have to include
hermeneutical issues. But whether that is of interest for the list, I do not
know.
Let me just mention, that in my own work on Gal, I have chosen to declare the
basic presuppositions and/or inclinations of my approach already in the title
of the book: Forum für Sprachlose. You could translate it 'forum for the
speechlees', but also 'forum for the baffled'.

One of the things that made me take such a step were remarks that I was
reading here and there, like:
"...even though always polemical, Paul's only concern is with the issues at
stake and never with himself." (Rohde, Gal 13 my free transl), or "...we
ought to honor Paul for his anger.... circumcision though useless, could do
no great harm. But Paul... detected the great principles that were at stake."
(Machen, Notes 200, cf. also Dunn Gal, 5).
Why defend, what should not be defended, I began to ask myself... and so an
approach to Gal was conceived.

I may also point the listers to the book 'The Cost of Authority. Manipulation
and Freedom in the NT' by Graham Shaw, which I think raises some vital
questions.

I would be happy to get into a discussion of this kind, but I will leave it
open for others to show an interest first.
Greetings to all

Dieter Mitternacht