ch-scene - Re: (UCE) Re: USB turntable at Costco

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: (UCE) Re: USB turntable at Costco
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:36:40 -0500

Th'Cigaretz, yeah!

I'll echo what's already being said. That USB TT might do the job, but it's probably crappy in ways that you wouldn't be happy with.

They're bundling the TT, tonearm, cartridge, phone pre-amp, D/A converter, USB interface and software, at that price. Something has to give. I'm betting it's the quality of the TT, tonearm, cartridge and phono pre-amp. Plus, you've already got all of that, and likely much higher quality kit.

If you really do rip LPs, you're gonna put a bunch of time into it. Do you really want to finish the job only to realize that the fidelity sucks or your TT has a nice slow speed warble?

You'd only need to buy a decent soundcard or USB interface.

Plenty of free software out there to do the trick. Audacity for edits. And I know I've seen a good automatic wav file splitter, though I don't recall the name. Easy enough to do manually in Audacity anyway.

More advice: Use good (but not necessarily insane) sample sizes and bitrates. Compress to FLAC (it's lossless! and free software!). Archive your FLAC files so you never have to rip again. Transcode your FLACs to the portable player format/encoder/bitrate flavor of the day.

--rt