ch-scene - Re: USB turntable at Costco

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: USB turntable at Costco
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:45:45 -0800 (PST)

Before I got protools, I used a program called
Goldwave. It's shareware that instead of limiting
your use of the program to 30 days, it limits your
sessions to X number of clicks, let's you save, exit
the program and start it up again. I liked it so much
I actually bought it.

But yeah, I could record a whole side, then
essentially highlight a section of waveform, choose
"save selection as", then Ctrl-X it and move on to the
next song. It even has a filter to reduce the pops
and hisses, although I don't do much of that.

So, turntable into an old stereo, came out of the RCA
"tape" outs into the 1/8" analog input of my computer,
and that's it. My setup is a little more advanced
than that now, but it's essentially the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/ART-USB-Phono-Plus-Preamp/dp/B000BBGCCI
> [...]
> have one of these, and while I don't use Windows or
> OSX, I can tell you
> that it works well under Linux)
>
> Your computer might even already have a line-level
> analog input on its
> normal sound-card, or have a "mic input" that's
> really basically just a
> line-level input.
>
> Then you can concentrate on finding the software,
> which is where the
> magic happens, assuming any magic actually happens.
> The hook for those
> USB turntables is that they're bundled with some
> cut-rate software that
> will take a 22-minute-long wav file (what you wind
> up with when you
> record a whole album side) and semi-automatically
> look for the gaps
> between songs, and probably do some rudimentary
> pop/click reduction, and
> spit out MP3s.
>
> They seem to be bundled generally with Cakewalk
> Pyro, which you can buy
> separately for $40:
> http://www.zzounds.com/item--CAKPYRO
>
> Or you can explore the wide world of other options,
> many of which are
> outlined in this dense page of text:
> http://magicref.tripod.com/digitalaudio/darmp3.htm
>
> I suppose it's possible that the all-in-one USB
> turntables actually have
> some software integration such that you can drop the
> needle & have the
> software on the computer start automagically (and/or
> click "rec" on the
> computer and have the tonearm lift & drop into
> position at the start of
> the record) but that's about as far as that's going
> to go, so how much
> would you pay for that?
>
> xo
>
> Ross
>
> James Hepler wrote:
> > I saw it at costco as well! I've head horible
> things
> > though. Word on the street is don't buy the USB
> > turntable.
> >
> > It looks cheaply made, and I'm sure the guts of it
> are
> > less reliable than if you were to buy a regular
> > technics or pioneer or whatever device. But hell,
> > say buy it and let me know! I'm tired of
> digitizing
> > records the slow way!
> >

> > --- DJ Golf <djgolf AT mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> >> So. Costco has, for $120, a USB plug-and-play
> >> turntable that you use
> >> to convert your records to digital audio files.
> >> Comes with software.
> >> Plays at 33 or 45, and the box says it "supports"
> >> playing 78's (I
> >> assume this means you play them at a lower speed
> and
> >> the software
> >> makes the conversion.) Also has regular RCA-plug
> >> type output that you
> >> can switch to, and use it as a regular turntable.
> >> don't remember
> >> the brand, but it wasn't a name I've ever heard

Be a better pen pal.
Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/