ch-scene - Re: USB turntable at Costco

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: USB turntable at Costco
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:44:14 -0500

If you already have a good turntable, I STRONGLY recommend the ART USB Phono Plus pre's:

http://www.amazon.com/ART-USB-Phono-Plus-Preamp/dp/B000BBGCCI/ ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196191853&sr=1-1

I bought mine from Chuck at Sam Ash Capital Blvd. for around $75, and I use it to digitize from a Sansui direct drive turntable I rescued from a downtown Toronto curb maybe 15 years ago (mmm... garbage day in a yuppie neighborhood! i'm trying to remember if they threw out their vinyl that day too...)

The grounding is superb with little to no hum, the built-in headphone monitor is very useful, you can run it off USB power or wall wart if you have clean AC. It comes with an Audacity CD, but I normally use it with Toast CD Spin Doctor (or Peak when I really want to edit)

A definite bonus is the light-pipe in and out -- rather than trust USB 2, you can shoot the amplified digital signal right out to your Fireface or other digital audio snob interface. Since most digital audio interfaces don't apply RIAA Curve to the inputs, this is much preferable to going line-level in from most turntable RCA outs.

dB