ch-scene - Re: Local 506 vs. Smoking

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Kevin Slater <saulecker AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Local 506 vs. Smoking
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:24:56 -0400

I'll chime in here. I know everyone has their opinions and many have already been expressed as I'm late to this discussion, but here are mine:

I am a ex-smoker. I know, we are the worst right? Well I promised myself when I quit smoking that I would NEVER be THAT type of ex-smoker. I don't think I am.

That said, I have left more than one show at the local 506 and outright not attended many others because it is a smoking bar. There's nothing like sitting there, minding your own business and having someone stand right in front of you, light up and hold their smokeytreat right in your face (while holding it away from their own face as not to get smoke in their eyes). This has happened to me more than once. I generally can't make it through an entire show because I feel physically ill and have to leave. The problem with making the 506 100% non-smoking is that when all the smokers want to get their fix, they will all crowd the front door. Yes, that would suck for the doordude, but it would really just make the problem worse I think by creating a crowd problem and concentrating the smoke. I guess this is how it is at the nightlight as well and it really isn't that big a deal. It would be nice if there could be a place like they have at the cradle. That works REALLY well I think. I've even on many occasions gone out there and hung out with smoker buddies and not had a problem.

anyway, that's my .02 cents. I know all you smokers disagree with me because I might have disagreed with myself back when I was a smoker. Just please be aware of the impact you have on others. Next time some jerky waves their cigarette in my face I might just put it out on their forearm as was suggested earlier.

Kevin

local506 AT gmail.com wrote:
Although this discussion died down on here, it's still something I've
been battling on a regular basis at the club. Recently, by request of
the artist, we tried restricting smoking to the bar-area only, while
no smoking was allowed in the room where the artist performed. And it
worked really well - I got several comments about how (somehow!) the
smoke itself didn't infiltrate the smoke-less room (or likely, it did
so at ceiling-level, not head-level!) And this show was well-
attended, over 100 people.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering this as a permanent policy, but
looking for feedback before making this decision.

glenn / local 506

ps: Of course, all Summer I've been seriously considering adding wine,
updating our Reverbnation page, taking a vaction, among other things,
and they haven't happened yet (but Summer's not over!)