ch-scene - Re: No Smoking

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: No Smoking
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:01:03 -0700 (PDT)

And you made good for your smoking clientelle by
having a comfortable place for us to go light up.
Much appreciated.

--- "charlie st.clair" <nightlightbooking AT gmail.com>
wrote:

> We implemented a no smoking policy at Nightlight
> last October and received
> what was essentially 100% approval. Some people (who
> apparently never go
> out) still think we are a smoky joint. Most of the
> people, however, really,
> really appreciate the cleaner air indoors,
> especially when its 3:00 in the
> morning and everyone can still dance and have a good
> time without feeling
> like you are in some kind of poisonous, noxious
> chamber which is sucking
> your life energy. Our employees appreciate the
> cleaner air and report having
> an easier time waking up and moving around the
> morning after a show.
>
> Perhaps only three or four people have ever made a
> negative comment to me
> when I tell them there is no smoking inside, but
> they still put out their
> smoke. I think one person made a sarcastic comment
> about this being North
> Carolina, which I guess was a sideways attempt to
> invoke our state's rich
> heritage as a beacon for self-destructive behavior.
> I know I feel the legacy
> of thousands of winstons, salems, camels, dorals,
> and other fine brands
> coursing through my veins everytime I take a puff of
> my favorite brand, but
> I still actually prefer to smoke out-of-doors. I
> like smoking allright, as
> far as habits goes it's an allright one. But I
> prefer to not breathe
> everyone else's cigarette in addition to my own.
>
> Amazingly, when a band starts, people light up
> habitually. When they get a
> new beer, they light up habitually. When they exit
> the bathroom, they light
> up habitually. When they see someone else smoking,
> they light up habitually.
> Having cleaner air indoors may have actually HELPED
> business at the
> Nightlight, believe it or not. Between starting
> shows earlier on weeknights
> and becoming no smoking, we're recognizing the
> pervasive sentiment that many
> more people would come out to shows during the week
> if the clubs made it
> easier on the patrons.
>
> -Charlie
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors
> alt.music.chapel-hill --

Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail,
news, photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC

  • No Smoking, charlie st.clair, 08/22/2007
    • Re: No Smoking, James Hepler, 08/22/2007