ch-scene - Re: Local 506 vs. Smoking

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Local 506 vs. Smoking
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:23:20 -0700

> I vote No Smoking ----- smokers arguements are as stale as the nicotine on
> their bedroom walls....

I had so many conversations about this last night at the Schooner
show, and everyone I countered the 'non-smoking' argument then
understood the dilemma I face. As I thought was understood, if no
smoking is allowed in 506, then smokers will be forced to exit my
business and, perhaps, smoke outside. However, they may equally
choose to visit one of the other bars within walking distance to not
only smoke, but also buy their next drink, And heck, they may have
such a good time, they might not venture back. And if the Sports Bar
re-opens next door, I'm sure plenty of bands will find their potential
audience not only not drinking at Local 506, but not listening to
their band either.

As originally posted, Local 506 is NOT considering going non-smoking
at this time, but I have decided (since that initial post) that we
will make the bar-room smoking and prevent smokers from entering the
room with bands. This isn't ideal for everyone I know, but I do think
it's step in the right direction to limit the amount of smoke people
will encounter at the club while they watch the bands.

If business does well, then we may look at taking further steps to
eliminate smoking.

thanks...glenn