ch-scene - Re: On Durham and identity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "trekky records" <willhack15 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: On Durham and identity
  • Date: 5 Apr 2007 14:03:06 -0700

i agree with the last point. 305 south is AWESOME and i'd love if more
venues spread out and had more things to entertain.

as for the cliques, community, forming an identity, i'd say its
extremely complex, and i'm still trying to figure it out. they way
that we operate is: our crew comes first. the family vibe, the
unconditional love. however, our crew of 40 people are not enough to
totally sustain a scene (and we wouldn't want it that way anyway), so,
after the priority of focus on our bands, we jump right up to
attempting to organize, collaborate with and help out everyone that we
like in the scene (that means people in the Triangle and Greensboro).
and there are a good number of other labels, cliques, friend groups,
whatever out there. we are really young and like so many different
kinds of music, so we try to be down with a lot of people and help a
lot of people. sometimes we aren't met with a ton of enthusiasm,
either because people just like their specific kind of music, or their
specific group of friends. we're fine with that. kill 'em with
kindness, you know?

my feeling is that this sort of comprehensive support is the road to a
happy, supportive and ultimately financially sustainable scene for my
crew as well as everyone else. we need a ton of people who not only
people who support all kinds of indie rock, hip hop and bluegrass
music, but also people that are down with art, theater and even dance.

its probably naive and impossible, but we can't help but try. i like
the music around here too much not to. the sentiment that the CH scene
is dead and that there won't be inter-town support just makes it more
of a challenge.