ch-scene - Re: On Durham and identity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: On Durham and identity
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:47:23 -0400

betsyshane AT gmail.com wrote:

Hey all

But that census info really threw me...the median income in Durham is
higher than elsewhere, so does the money thing still hold up? I guess
that's a whole other investigation; why is Durham real estate so
damned cheap?

The college student populations are making the income figures seem artificially low for Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Notice the big difference between household and family income in Chapel Hill. The family figure, presumably, factors out the college student population. But also the single adults not in college. I dunno. I think you'd want to factor out the students to figure out what the economics are for people with jobs in those places.

rossi