ch-scene - Re: On Durham and identity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Jason M Sullivan <jason AT ignatz.nc.rr.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: On Durham and identity
  • Date: 05 Apr 2007 14:08:09 GMT

On 2007-04-05, grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
> And as for Raleigh, well, nobody drives I-40 at night, in either direction.

Not only do I do this, I bring a posse. See you folks at Antibalas, if'n I
don't get in a car wreck on the way to the show again.

> I think Durham would be a lot more boring & a lot less vibrant if there
> were actual rockclubs there, with smoking, and late start times, and
> actual business people worried about making rent solely on the basis of
> rock music & beer, and all the things that I hate about rockclubs. I
> hope that we learn at some point that Durham has evolved *beyond* that,
> rather than being at some early-evolutionary stage *before* that.

This has got to be my favorite part of the entire discussion. Right here.
Anyone who runs (or who has inclinations to run) a performance space should
tape this to their head, printed backwards, so they can read it in the
mirror every morning. If the doors open at 8:30 don't make me wait two
hours in a place with a lot of smoke and no seating before a single note is
played.

--
//)) Jason M. SULLIVAN jsullivan AT nc.rr.com
|c-oo http://www.jason0x21.org
//\_- "That's not music, that's just sound!" - J. David Fries