ch-scene - Re: On Durham and identity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: On Durham and identity
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 10:32:37 -0400

Oh! I just realized I forgot to insert Ringside in its proper place in that timeline of Durham venues. Hmm, let's see, was that pre-Basement or post-Basement? Somewhere in that neighborhood, anyway. People *still* bitch to me occasionally about feeling obligated to buy a Ringside membership in order to support the next-great-hope-for-live-music-in-Durham, and then a few months later the shows at Ringside slowing to a trickle.

But I say: (a) it filled the niche at exactly the time that the niche needed to be filled, and (b) that membership is still good, y'all: haven't you gotten your money's worth by now?

grady wrote:

I've been going to shows in Durham since I moved to the Triangle in 1992, and the funny thing about Durham is that while there are never very *many* places to play, there's always somewhere to play. My vague recollection goes kind of like this: Under The Street->Coffeehouse->Captured Live->umm, Coffeehouse again->The Basement->yes, Coffeehouse again->Ooh La Latte->Coffeehouse->305 South/Joe & Jo's->Coffeehouse->Chaz's->Broad Street->BCHQ->Coffeehouse, if'n they start booking more than 1 show every 2 weeks.