ch-scene - Re: On Durham and identity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bcrews AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: On Durham and identity
  • Date: 5 Apr 2007 08:53:23 -0700

as the staff person at duke "responsible" for the coffeehouse and
wxdu, this conversation has been fascinating. i moved here almost 3
years ago with plans to spend every weekend in chapel hill/carrboro
but soon found myself wanting to stay in durham. while i often have
to take a bit of a hands-off stance with the coffeehouse, i try very
hard to support the scene. one of my goals when i first asked about
"reviving" the coffeehouse was to make people as willing to come to
durham for a show as they would be to go to chapel hill. and ross is
right, sometimes we have to get lucky and beat the 506 or Cradle to
the punch or even slimier (although good for the bands) pay them
higher guarantees. often we have no choice about the higher
guarantees, because bookers see us as "college" shows (read: easy,
guaranteed money) and not a regular booking venue. I'm glad that
there are enough good bands out there, that i don't have to feel
competitive with the Chapel Hill venues. I don't think we could
anyway, because that scene is already so established, but we'll keep
trying to make the coffeehouse fun and try to carve out our little
niche. In relate news we had student elections and i'm happy to
report we have an excited new student booker with really good musical
taste working on next fall's schedule. long live the durham scene,
its cheap houses, and affordable beer (and byob spaces).