ch-scene - Re: late 80's / early 90's Rolling Stone article

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: late 80's / early 90's Rolling Stone article
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:42:38 -0400

I think the Details one was actually also circa '92, simply because I remember it, and I was neither a big Details reader nor one who paid much attention to the Triangle prior to '92. Wasn't it the one where the writer went to Pinehaus (aka Wifflefist central) in Raleigh & was infatuated with Kathy Poindexter? Or am I thinking of a different one? Perhaps Details was actually giving the Triangle more press than anybody else.

Generally speaking, Triangle attention Round One (or round X, if you like) was post-Athens/REM, so mid-80s, and Round Two (or X+1) was post-Nevermind. The coverage in the late 80s/very-early 90s was, to the best of my limited ability to research, primarily the odd little feature or review of Snatches of Pink or the Veldt, as those were two local bands actually attempting to push beyond whatever local underground-rock ghetto everybody else was living in.

I re-read the Spin piece (Nov '92, I think it was) the other day (writer stays at the "Polvo house," decrees Chapel Hill unready for superstardom due to lack of a discernible trademark "Chapel Hill Sound," enjoys Polvo & Superchunk, and gets the legendary "this is the Chapel Hill Sound" beer opened in his face. Which nameless scenester will take credit for that one?). I have the Alternative Press one in a box somewhere. Will dig it out soon enough. Along with Hepler's requested Sony Free, though I doubt I'll have the energy to scan alla that.

Ross

Nathaniel Florin wrote:
I dug this bit out of the prototype ch-scene FAQ
(remember that?) that Grady posted on Dec 12, 1994.
It's easily found in Google.
More to the point, we figure that if magazines like Spin, Details, Option, Rolling Stone, Alternative Press, and Seventeen can spew about what's going on here, we should seize our chance at equal time via the Infobahn.

So in late-1994 we clearly believed there had been a
significant Rolling Stone article, but I'll be damned
if I remember it.

I more remember the Details one from 1990(?), which
listed Raleigh as one of the top scenes in the nation,
and sold it by mentioning nothing but things in Chapel
Hill. Things were very indistinct at that point.

Nate