ch-scene - Re: late 80's / early 90's Rolling Stone article

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: late 80's / early 90's Rolling Stone article
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:49:40 -0400

Most of the national coverage in that era was in autumn '92, a couple of months after the Big Record Stardom Convention (that was when the articles in Spin, Details & Alternative Press came out, at least). I don't think I've ever seen the Rolling Stone one, so Mary, if you *do* still have a copy (or of anything else local-music-related), I'd be most interested in seeing a xerox or a scan, as I've just cleaned out *my* packrat pile of old music mags, with an eye towards scanning & posting the salient bits.

There *may* have been something in Rolling Stone earlier, but the 80s attention, such as it was (there was *precious* little, beyond the odd record review, in Spin throughout the 80s), would've probably been mid-80s rather than late-80s, as that was sort of the valley between the mid-80s and early-90s outside-attention-bursts.

Ross

I think I just ran across this issue recently when I was cleaning out my
packrat pile of old music mags. I think I kept the local music issues,
but I'm not sure which ones. Let me check and see if I still have it and
figure out if it's the same one you're looking for.

-Mary

askref AT duke.edu wrote:

I'm looking for a Rolling Stone article that was written in the late
80's or early 90's about the Chapel Hill / Carrboro alternative music
scene. Does anyone remember this article and if so know when it was
published? Thanks!