ch-scene - Re: late 80's / early 90's Rolling Stone article

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: late 80's / early 90's Rolling Stone article
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:39:43 -0400

Here's the paragraph in question from a 1995 post by Nate, which is the
first result for 'chapel hill sound' on Google groups between '90 and '99:
===
11/92 issue of spin. "new revolutions" feature, by daniel fidler. final
paragraph:

At 3:30 A.M., Polvo singer-guitarist Ash Bowie takes me to a Chapel Hill
party that's just starting to rock. He looks troubled. "Do you really think
there's a Chapel Hill sound?" he asks quietly. A groggy passerby offers his
take: "You really want to know the Chapel Hill sound?" He draws close. "It's
this," he says, and opens a beer can in my face. Cheers.
===

ross:
> Which nameless scenester will take credit for that one?

I saw it happen; I'm almost positive it was right outside Local 506, not at
a party, and positive it was a local musician who popped the top. I want to
say it was Marc Sloop. Nate credits me with saying it on Northern Hemisphere
Live first, but I dunno if that's true or not, or if me saying it on the air
is what influenced the probably-Sloop pop-topper. It was a great moment,
though - perfect for the time.

todd ah shitfaced drunk memories morman