ch-scene - More Local Music Minutia

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Glenn Boothe / Local 506" <gboothe2 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: More Local Music Minutia
  • Date: 31 Jan 2006 16:13:26 -0800

As some of you know and some have participated in, each year I compile
my own year end chart. A la the Village Voice Pazz & Job, each
participant has 100 points to assign to ten CDs. There is no criteria
for participating beyond caring enough to compile a list. Although
there is a heavy dose of local peeps participating, there is just as
many non-locals.

With that said, since my year-end CD was somewhat subjective, here is a
less subjective look at what people thought were some of the best local
releases this. The list below includes some ex-partriots (Crooked
Fingers, Ryan Adams) as well as some new arrivals (Mountain Goats, My
Dad is Dead, The Standard) as well as the very dead John Coltrane...

Oh yeah, the first number is how it compared to ALL other release, the
second the number of points received and the last number is how many
people included it in their top ten.

Rank /Artists / Total /Votes
7 Portastatic 151 13
10 Mountain Goats 119 9
16 Rosebuds 89 9
27 Crooked Fingers 66 6
29 Thelonious Monk/John Coltrane 64 5
39 Work Clothes 50 5
47 Ryan Adams (Jacksonville City Nights) 39 3
48 Des Ark 38 4
63 Ryan Adams (Cold Roses) 30 3
70 Black Taj 29 3
72 Nein 28 2
90 Ticonderoga (s/t) 22 2
98 Kingsbury Manx 20 3
99 Moaners 20 3
113 Jeffrey Dean Foster 20 1
118 Audubon Park 19 2
126 Physics of Meaning 18 2
144 My Dad is Dead 15 2
151 Avett Brothers 15 1
166 Standard 15 1
173 Prayers & Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers 12 2
260 New Town Drunks 10 1
261 Old Ceremony 10 1
274 Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion 10 1
283 Tom Scharpling/Jon Wurster 10 1
302 Little Brother 8 1
307 SNMNMNM 8 1
310 David Karsten Daniels 7 1
311 Erie Choir 7 1
317 Spinns 7 1
324 Hellsayers 6 1
334 Ticonderoga (The Heilig-Levine LP) 6 1
340 Bandway 5 1
345 Bringerer 5 1
362 Eyes to Space 5 1
371 Jane Francis 5 1
372 John Coltrane (One Down, One Up) 5 1
394 Pleasant 5 1

When you do the math, Coltrane notwithstanding, there are 35 CDs
listed. Let me rephrase that, there are three local CDs each month
that someone thought was noteworthy. And this list doesn't include
some of my personal local faves like The Sames, Bellafea and The
Strugglers...glenn

  • More Local Music Minutia, Glenn Boothe / Local 506, 01/31/2006