ch-scene - Re: Tuesday Indie Rock at the Library and bigger issues

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Glenn Boothe / Local 506" <gboothe2 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Tuesday Indie Rock at the Library and bigger issues
  • Date: 30 Jan 2006 12:20:13 -0800

Sorry, should have merged these last two responses:

>>>So before the En Garde/Criteria show, I emailed the
DTH about either writing a blurb about the show...I never
got a response.... Business, laziness, apathy, scorn, who knows? It's
not
ignorance.

Although I have been disappointed at times with the various student
media infrastructure (radio and press) in this area, having been a
college music director myself, one thing to keep in mind is just the
amount of stuff that is out now.

I can really only speak about radio, but back during my heyday, there
were only a handful of local releases per year and most releases were
met with great fanfare by the station, the press, the stores and the
clubs. That number comes out monthly now. Heck,I can't even do all
the CD release shows that come my way (and those are usually the bigger
shows!)

For example, I just noticed on the wxyc playlist that was just posted
that they are now playing The Strugglers and Physics of Meanings. Both
of those bands had their CD release shows at 506, one in late October,
the other early November...and it appears that the station is just now
getting around to playing them. Disappointing yes, but at least they
didn't get entirely overlooked.

Anyway, I don't think it's ignorance or any of the other attributes you
describe, but just the fact that the marketplace is cluttered...glenn