ch-scene - Re: Stuff to do, week of June 24, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to do, week of June 24, 2004
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:23:40 -0400

p.s. some slightly hyper guy in LA wants me to let you know that his band the Tremors isn't playing these shows, it's this other band the Tremors: http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/

grady wrote:

Friday, June 25
Hasil Adkins [http://members.tripod.com/~Hasil_Adkins/], The Tremors
, Corndawg
[http://www.thecorndawg.com/]
Project Space 211, Winston-Salem

Saturday, June 26
Anderson Airplane, The Tremors,
Hasil Adkins [http://members.tripod.com/~Hasil_Adkins/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I was listening to the Cramps last night & their cover of Hasil
Adkins's "She Said" came on, and for about the 100th time I was struck
by just how utterly fucked-up it is. More remarkable, especially when
talking about early Cramps, is that the original is even *more*
fucked-up, and it was recorded in 1964. Hasil's demented-madman
persona may or may not be an intentional construct, but at a certain
point I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter: he's been constructing on it
for the better part of a half-century.

Raleigh's Anderson Airplane has a long way to go to catch up to Hasil,
but he's started in the right place: he's a one-man (gtr-drums) band
with a demented lyrical bent and a penchant for howling.