cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:00:30 -0500

On Saturday 02 December 2006 08:36 pm, Greg London wrote:
> > why couldn't I design a DRM system where anyone
> > could apply, but only the blessed could work with
> > protected content from there?
>
> You can handle this with the current proposal, though.
> The current anti-TPM clause allows local application
> of TPM to a work. You can then upload it to your hardware.
> Unless I'm misunderstanding your scenario, it's already
> addressed in the current anti-TPM language.

Except I can give my 105 year old friend a copy ready to go that he doesn't
have to worry about. Whatever, like I say, I am not pushing it except I can
accept it and if the ones who want PD can accept it, game over and we can
stop going back and forth like this.

It may be unnecessary, but can it hurt?

> If folks would agree to parallel distribution
> and everyone must be able to apply DRM, then
> that's almost identical from a functional
> point of view to the Anti-TPM with local DRM allowed.

So, nothing wrong with allowing both options with nary a difference between
them, plus, less chance for forbidding some things down the road that we did
not intend to forbid. Plus it points out even more clearly which effects of
DRM, which DRMs we have an issue with.

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month
Sayings (Winner 2006)