cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Two Part ParDist is same as AntiTPM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Two Part ParDist is same as AntiTPM
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 20:45:07 -0500 (EST)

> It is easily possible to envision platforms that that use DRM but do not
> support transparent DRM or open format content. These platforms are
> driven more by (non-CC) copyright holders' desires to lock up their
> works than by a desire for platform monopoly. Both are legitimate
> concerns.

anti-tpm-plus-local-application-of-drm should address this problem.

>> But if Dave is willing to allow people to apply DRM,
>> then it isn't a problem. You just do it to your local copy.
>>
>> Yes?
>>

> Much would depend on how easy it is to apply the DRM. If it were
> expensive or difficult, this might not be a reasonable option. One
> could fix that by amending (2) to read, "Everyone is free and reasonably
> able to apply the DRM for free." But that, as I believe is pointed out
> later in this thread, complicates (2) even further. It may be that the
> best argument against this compromise is that precise language would be
> too complicated or too difficult to draft.

Parallel distribution alone allows DRM-Dave a monopoly.
I won't support plain par-dist because it allows a platform
monopoly on DRM-only hardware.

I'd probably support drew's par-dist-with-DRM-authorization
because the platform monopoly is not maintained in this
version. But then whatever issue you think exists with
the mandatory right to apply DRM exists in both

par-dist-with-drm-authorization
and
anti-tpm-with-local-drm

Either way, the idea of local DRM needs to get hammered out.

If not par-dist by itself allows a platform monopoly,
and anti-tpm by itself wont' allow local DRM.

Greg

--
Take the Courage Vow
http://www.couragevow.com/