cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 21:02:39 -0500

On Sunday 03 December 2006 08:36 pm, Greg London wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 December 2006 06:02 pm, Greg London wrote:
> >> This is specifically directed to all of you who keep
> >> bringing up the explanation that my reason for supporting
> >> Anti-TPM is because I want to turn CC into a "weapon".
> >
> > See, that might be me.
> >
> > I don't want to allow someone a monopoly
> > position over me with my own works.
>
> The reason I think allowing Dave to monopolize
> CC-SA content is deadly is because I think contributers
> to CC-SA projects, contributers like you, drew,
> would get understandably pissed off that Dave
> is making money on your content, but you can't
> sell your own works or put them on Dave's hardware.

You don't have to convince me of this Greg, I do not plan on releasing any
BY-SA works where the license has been crafted in such a way as to allow
platform monopolies via TPM (DRM)...

> That sort of monopoly inside a CC-SA community
> will royally tick off a lot of contributers
> and might even drive them away from contributing,
> might reduce what they contribute, and might
> redirect a lot of there efforts to fighting
> DRM-Dave because the par-dist license fails
> to protect contributers from having their content
> monpolized.
>
> That's why I see par-dist as deadly to the FLOSS
> community. there will be a large chunk of contributers
> who will be understandably pissed at the monopoly
> Dave enjoys. And that's where the minus-several-hundred
> damage number comes from.
>
> You are demonstrating exactly why par-dist by itself
> will hurt the community, because a lot of contributers
> like you won't like Dave monopolizing their FLOSS
> contributions.

Like I say, we are on the same page as far as a PD clause what would allow a
platform monopoly being unacceptable is concerned.

> > how is it you missed my proposal all this time?
>
> I was on vacation all last week.
> I just got back, with 350 emails sitting in my inbox.
> I must have missed it trying to catch up.

I sent an email out this morning that shows I was making this suggestion
since
at least September 28th...

It can't just be the last weeks vacation that caused it...

BTW, did you have a good vacation? Do you now need a "rest" vacation to
recover from the actual vacation?

> Greg

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month