cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 02:25:50 +0000

Jonathon Blake wrote:
How about:
> Violet: BSD Style licences
> Indigo: GNU GPL style licences
+ CC-By-SA (i.e. copyleft)
> Blue: Public Domain
> Green: CC
> Yellow CC-NC
> Orange CC-ND
> Red: All Rights Reserved
> Black: Your rights removed.
> Use Red for lettering &
glyphs. [Infrared would be the more suitable colour, but most humans
can not see light in the infrared spectrum. Hence black. ]

I still disapprove of the "spectrum" metaphor, but I'll draw this one
for the sake of discussion.

> "Eye" -- this EULA requires you to give up privacy rights
+1

> "1" -- single CPU limitations and other things that prevent you
> from
I like the concept. I'm not sure people will understand what the "1"
represents. Would the Chinese glyph for "1" work any better here? ㈠
[I couldn't find the correct glyph. This one depicts "Enclosed
numeral one"". On second thoughts, Westerners might view that as a
fence, as such, it would be "appropriate".]]

Another possibility here is "no disk".

> "padlock" -- DRM'd material, 'no reverse-engineering' clause
+1

Of course it's really the "no reverse engineering". DRM is not
actually license issue (thought about that later).

> "no mouth" -- restricts freedom of speech: you agree not to publish
This glyph needs more work. The Chinese glyph doesn't work here. 嘴

Much as I appreciate han/kanji characters myself, they are pretty
incomprehensible to most of the Western Hemisphere. Although they
make more sense as you become familiar with the graphemes, the
stylization is not obvious to most people who don't use them in writing.

Of course, CC actually provides localized badges, so there would have
to be a set of those anyway (I'm pretty sure I can draw that in Inkscape,
if it can't natively handle character input, I can paste from Yudit, which
is my usual kludge).

> (all four are in somebody's EULA -- I'm sure there's half-dozen
> more that people have seen)
Offhand, I can think of several others, which make those seem
positively benign, and supportive of end-user-rights.

A list would be good.

OTOH -- how useful is this? Someone did post asking about EULA
labeling graphics (though I can't find the post). I was only half-serious
about doing this one -- so I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time
on it (but if there's demand, I'm willing to).

Cheers,
Terry